Die!


Go die in a hole for the sake of society,
What? No!
Omg you’re so selfish!
Yeah, because I haven’t spent my whole life helping people, and even though I am barely surviving,
it doesn’t still give me a little thrill when I can make someone’s life better.
You’re unwilling to stop the spread of coronavirus! I can’t believe you want a million people to die!
What? Nobody wants a million people to die. I wish the virus weren’t here, but I can’t lock myself away from people for an indeterminate amount of time. I don’t even have the coronavirus!
You could! You never know! Maybe you’re asymptomatic!
I can acknowledge the possibility, but that’s very unlikely. I am doing everything I can to prevent the spread of the virus. I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer, I haven’t been exposed to anyone who has tested positive, I have no symptoms. The WHO says asymptomatic carriers are not the biggest cause of viral spread anyway.
But you *could* spread the virus if you’re asymptomatic and go out maskless! You just don’t care!
For me to spread the virus accidentally in a way that leads to someone’s death, I would have to 1. have the virus, 2. not know I had it 3. be shedding the virus nearby someone else long enough for them to be infected and 4. even if they get it, they have a 99% chance of survival. You’re asking me to die on the off chance all of those possibilities come to pass?
You’re being melodramatic. You won’t die.
I’m not, but thanks for explaining my reality to me. You must know it better than I do since you know
everything…
Almost 600,000 people have died worldwide! Masking and social distancing have proven to prevent the spread! You just don’t want to be inconvenienced. Selfish!
No death is acceptable, including my own. It’s very sad that hundreds of thousands of people are dying, I just don't think my death is going to prevent the death of anyone via COVID.
You are only one person and you’re willing to sacrifice 700,000 people in your country! How selfish!
I still don’t even have the coronavirus, but it’s just idiocy to say I would personally be responsible for the deaths of thousands if I did. The likelihood that I even give the virus to someone else is small, but even if I did, they would have a 99% survival rate once they caught it. I have a greater chance of dying from the prolonged isolation than that!
You should do all these things that I think are going to help you because I think the only way to stop the spread of COVID is if you stay in a hole.
Yeah, all of the things you just told me won’t work…
What? Selfish! Of course they will! You’re just not trying hard enough. Here’s more things I think you should do. Even though you don’t have the right to tell me what I need to do for my health, I should definitely be able to tell you what to do for yours!
Those don’t work either to combat the dangers of isolation…
You can Zoom! You can Skype! You can FaceTime! It’s a small sacrifice to save millions!
Stop telling me the same things you’ve been telling me for five months. I am telling you they don’t work. Can you tell me how long the isolation and disconnection must last?
Until COVID is cured! Until we have a vaccine! Really, until *I* am comfortable with your physical
presence again!
So to sum up… you’re asking me to separate myself from any meaningful connection for an indeterminate amount of time, telling me my reasons for protesting this aren’t valid, and then calling me selfish?
The virus is deadly!
I know. It’s terrible. It’s not the only deadly thing.
Look at all the numbers! Don’t you watch the news? The virus is killing people! Why can’t you see that?
I literally just said I see that. The virus is deadly. It’s terrible.
So you need to social distance and wear masks, deprive yourself of connection except with the people in your immediate home!
I will not be the human sacrifice made to the god of hysteria to stop the spread of a virus I don’t have. My life matters, too. It’s not selfish to do the things I need to do to stay alive. I have never once asked you to not wear a mask. I haven’t asked you to stop doing the things you need to do to stay alive. I am not the one who is selfish. I understand you’re being driven by fear and a media fear campaign, but you’re telling me my life doesn’t matter. You are a hypocrite of the highest order, and I won’t die in a hole for you. Go away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fears

Dust

Love's Effigy