A Call for Those with Ears to Hear


Meet me in the darkest of nights in the cold distress of loss and loneliness
Where life is so bitter and painful that I don’t remember what the sun looks like
Or what it is to be warm and loved,
Bring yourself there
With a heart so full of potential and truth
That it reminds me that the sun exists, though it cannot hasten its coming.
At four in the morning when the night has been long and I’m not even sure there is a daybreak left
to which I aspire to endure,
Come to me and show me that there is such a thing as peace

You cannot drag the sun up from the sky even one second before its appointed time,
And I would never ask you to,
For I have learned the value of sitting quietly in the darkness and knowing the depth of its despair,
And as much as I want to hold on to your warm hands with my fingers that feel like ice,
I also want to share the absolute stunning majesty of the darkness with you
And remind you that Love takes on a multiplicity of forms

The spirit is willing but the body is weak,
And many have fallen asleep because they do not see the value of the darkness,
Or they do not see the value of me within the darkness,
They only wish to know me in the light,
Even as they only lauded Him when He entered as King triumphant!
And denied they even knew Him as He prepared to endure the cross,
And yet it was the one who hung beside Him who knew His Paradise that night
Before the sun came up and ere the day had broken

Listen to the silence,
Come to the place of new beginnings,
Which just happens to be in the middle of the ruins of everything I knew,
For he who endures the darkness will see a different kind of morning,
And if we sit quietly in the place with no light with hands that feel like ice and no hope of tomorrow,
We will open our eyes to a new kind of vision
And learn to love each other without the limitations and conditions of light and joy,
For oh the exquisite priceless value of what we find here
Can never be found in any other place
And I have learned to value it even as I yearn to share it,
and even as I yearn to be held and comforted within it
For the value and the beauty that I know here does not mean that it is not mortal agony, too…
Hold me as I weep the bitter tears born of loss and destruction
And rise with me as the darkness deepens,
As the day breaks,
As the sun burns high in the sky,
And as it goes away again,
Share in this beauty with me
If you are strong enough and have eyes to see,
Know the depths of the darkness
And learn that it, too, is light.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dust

Fears

The Blues