Owe My God


For all your life you have been told
You can never pay for what you owe
So you struggle and strive, work yourself to the bone
Trying to pay back a debt not your own

For Love does not ask for remuneration
And Yahweh never wanted any kind of payment
For the fullness of Love that He’s given to you,
And He never claimed you owed Him any fruit

He said you would show yourself for who you are
By bearing the fruit that abides in your Heart,
But He never asked you to prove your own worth
And He never said you were under a curse

‘Twas religion who taught you and told you these lies
That you had to make up for your previous life
And prove that you had any reason for being
By building up monuments to your new King

Go and save all the nations! religion did cry,
By putting them in bondage, adding to our lie,
Like the Pharisees seeking out one proselyte
And making him two times the son of the night

Build up the Kingdom! religion commanded
Using your own effort and your two hands
Give all your money to those who are poor
Or maybe Yahweh won’t love you anymore

For you have escaped death by the skin of your teeth
And so for the rest of your life should you weep,
Yes take the Life that Christ has offered to you
And spend it lamenting, making death of that too

But I don’t owe my God or any man anything
For Love is much greater than these symbols clanging,
And I don’t need to worry if I deserve to be
For I AM that I AM and so I am me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fears

Dust

The Blues