Broken Eggs


I put all my eggs into one basket,
And when that basket broke,
All my eggs fell,
Cracked and spilling on the floor,
I am lost, alone, and without support

The basket promised safety,
Blessings without limitation,
And love that would never end

Slowly it began to fray, untwist, untwine,
At first, I told myself it would be okay,
That’s how baskets operate,
And later I told myself it was my fault,
I tore strips of my own skin from my very flesh
And tried to use them to plug the hole,
I went to those who built the basket over and over again and asked them
What to do,
How to fix it

They said it wasn’t their job to fix it,
They’d built the basket well the first time
And if I need to fix the basket
It’s because I did something wrong to create the hole,
They ripped more flesh off of me and told me to keep plugging,
Have more faith,
Be more faithful

Eventually I realized I could not keep tearing myself apart,
I begged and begged for help,
But if that is not possible,
I must let the basket break
Or I will die

Hoping against hope,
I stopped tearing myself up to plug the hole,
And while the wounds in my flesh began to heal,
The basket eventually broke

And here lie all my eggs upon the floor,
Will someone help me pick them up?
I promise to know better next time
Than to put them all in one basket…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fears

Dust

Love's Effigy